I feel I
have continued to challenge myself throughout this unit although I have been
ill, I feel starting embroidery this year was a massive risk. I have not
fulfilled my skills in this unit however I do see development in my work
considering it was a new area for me. My Photoshop skills have improved,
improving my digital prints, which I would like to focus more on in the next
unit.
The first
unit went relatively smoothly, I kept drawing and got inducted on new machines
therefore starting sampling and experimenting with the skills I had gained. As
drawing is definitely one of my strengths I thoroughly enjoyed focusing most of
my time on that, from my initial rough drawings to final paintings have really
improved even in the weeks of the practice unit where I have managed to go to
workshops and take advice off advance painters and drawers to again improve my
skills in this area. Using colour is certainly not something that comes
naturally to me, but having such a monochrome portfolio me and my tutor felt I
should experiment, although it failed it did give me the chance to realise I
want to engage with colour a lot more in unit x.
Deciding on
a live brief was hard for me as I wanted to relate it to the subject I was
passionate about but also create something for a company or individual. The
denim jacket brief was perfect for what I want to achieve and I am happy with
the outcome. However, it has flagged up some issues with my practice, if I was
going to start this brief again I would definitely take advice off technicians
in the art school if they had the time and I would make more samples for the
embroidered image on the back. I do like the idea of taking out pieces and
replacing them but I would also in future like to print my own fabrics or make
my own lace and replace them with that rather than bought lace.
For the
last four weeks I really wanted and tried to bring out my skills and talent in
painting and drawing which meant a lot of the things I did were extremely time
consuming therefore not producing as much work as previous weeks. Even though
this is a negative on this project I also believe the paintings I produced, two
of which I have chosen to be my final ones, were very strong and were worth
that time taken on them. This aside I have certainly grown with my painting and
really let go with it proving to be successful.
This unit
has been a roller-coaster for me I have had many ups and some downs, I am
extremely proud of how far I have come and that I have managed to not only
finish this unit, but finish it with work I am proud of and mistakes that I
will most certainly learn from. As my health has deteriorated this year I have
been in and out of university but really trying to make the most out of a bad
situation and not letting it come between getting my degree. Even though it is
extremely hard, I feel I have been able to achieve a good level and standard of
work to the best of my ability at this time. As I am starting to get better I am
ready to start unit x and get myself completely stuck into it, take myself out
of my comfort zone and produce original work for the degree show.
No comments:
Post a Comment