Sunday, 22 May 2016

UNIT X - Evaluation

Unit X has always been an enjoyable yet challenging experience in my first and second year and this has continued through to my third year. Starting embroidery this year was a risk but I am certain that I made the right decision and I feel I have finally discovered who I am as a graduate designer and I am ready to go into a textile career and develop my knowledge and skills further.

Having started this unit with my focuses on the homeless situation as I did in the practice unit, my aim was to introduce a lot more colour. This was always an insecurity of mine, as I like working in monochrome so when I started I was determined to introduce any colour, in any media and as quickly as I could. Starting with coloured pencils, I found doing quick drawings really helped me so I then moved onto felt tips and then wet media. I almost instantly found out Brusho made the images I was creating come to life and have more character than other medias.

Throughout this unit I have done primary and secondary research, I have emailed charities to volunteer at food banks events. I have looked into how the big issue helps the homeless and what people are doing around Manchester and the UK to make sure we are on our way to eliminating this problem in our society. Another eye opener for me was when I went round with a group of friends handing out sandwiches and water to people sleeping on the streets, it made me realise the horrendous position they are in every day and night.

My aim for my work was to bring to people’s attention the severity of the issue, generally subconsciously people tend to forget that it’s happening and is still extremely relevant. By taking this route I hope people view my work and do their bit to help even if it is buying someone some food or some water or just talking to them.


I am extremely proud of how far I have come in this unit, I have tried new machines and gained new skills the whole way through. I like how my work has developed throughout and even though it is a deep subject I feel I have made samples and work that I can go to interviews with and show my skills and knowledge. Having said this, I have found this unit a challenge and I do feel organisation is imperative to excel and at times I have but there is still some room for improvement. My favourite aspect over all was bringing character and depth to my samples using the ethos, tufter and various other machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment