Monday, 5 May 2014

Lines of Enquiry - Printed Shirt


For one of our first printing lessons we were asked to bring in one piece of vintage clothing each. The piece I chose was originally a simple woman's cotton shirt, as a group we decided this was ideal to experiment and print on. I split each section up and decided to print on the large back piece. The print was a mixture of each of our own designs;  some hand painted and some done using the screen. My addition to this garment is the blue and pink curves running diagonally along, originally inspired by a picture I had from the Pleasure Beach. None of us had done a puff print before so it was a big experiment for all of us. We decided to use 3 pastel colours, yellow, blue and pink, but when we did the screen print and all the colours mixed together slightly which created green but this was a nice touch also.





When We put the shirt under the heat press I expected the ink to pop out and be very three dimensional but because of the thin layers I applied the finishing piece was not as we had hoped it would be. As this was our first attempt at this method, reflecting back, I feel we were and it was successful. Our success varied from the very linear, delicate drawing at the bottom left and right, then to a bold image at the top which was brought together by the flow of the curves coming through, it doesn't look as if we just placed anything anywhere. Each aspect was placed carefully and planned before we started. 

 If I were to use this method again I would certainly do my application a lot thicker to get that big puff affect that I was hoping for. In addition I would also lighten the blue parts of the curves, as the structure below has been slightly lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment